Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Burns, Blisters, Bandages, Embarrassment!

So Thursday, August, 13th, 2009 was a bad...bad night. It all started out innocently enough with a plan to cook hamburgers on the grill and deep fry some french fries for dinner. Well, I waited for Nate to get home from work and then sent him down to the grill to cook the burgers. We live on the 12th (top) floor of our complex and the bbq/recreation area is down on the 1st floor. So Nate took Zak outside with him so he could run around while Nate grilled and I stayed up planning on frying us up some french fries. Mind you, we hardly ever have french fries and even more rarely do we fry them. We always bake. But, I'd been craving fries so I wanted to treat myself and fry them. I did work fast food all through high school so I knew exactly how to go about doing it...or so I thought. Well, I was warming up some crisco (another new thing for me...I always use just oil) and just as I went to check on it to make sure it was all melted and put the fries in...the whole pan of crisco burst into flames. It was the biggest kitchen fire I'd seen. For the life of me, I could not think what to do. I knew water was not for grease fires but I could not think of one alternate method to put a fire out. Our microwave is above the stove so I picked up the pan to move it because I didn't want it ruining the microwave or catching our cabinets on fire. So I set it on the floor because it's tile and try calling Nate a few times to ask him how to put out the fire. In the meantime, the fire is getting more ferocious and Nate's not realizing his phone is vibrating. So I start panicking even more and decide to just fill the bathtub up with water and drop the whole pan in the bathtub. Even though I knew you weren't supposed to us water with a grease fire, I didn't know why...and I figure if the whole this was just totally submerged it could only be a good thing. So as I'm walking my flaming pan to the bathroom...the motion of walking with the pan out in front of me or something makes the fire shoot up my arms. I drop the pan and run out of the apartment not knowing if our apartment is on fire or what. Luckily it wasn't. Although I did suffer some 2nd degree burns and our apartment will now need to be re-carpeted..all is well here at the Hogg home. I go to the doctor daily to get my bandages changed and my wounds cleaned so I'm just getting better and better. My wonderful husband stayed home Friday and Monday from work and is doing SO much to help. He's now going to work, has to do dishes (my right hand can't get wet and i'm right handed), bathes Zak, changes most diapers, has been making meals, etc. I can't get my arms wet at all, so I have to bathe keeping my arms out of the water while Nate washes my hair, etc. He's been working like crazy to make things easier on me. Thanks for everything Nate! You're the best husband ever!












16 comments:

Jenny said...

Oh Amber! I'm so glad you are ok!!! I don't know what I would do if I started a grease fire...
I'm going to look that up!
I hope you heal well and quickly!

Adrienne & Scott said...

Oh my gosh Amber! Those burns look painful!! I'm glad you're ok and glad your apartment building didn't burn down!! Happy healing!!!

Danielle said...

SAd!! That is so scary...i probably would have done the same thing!! Those burn do look painful!!!!!!!!! I am sorry that happened to you!

BJACCK said...

Oh my, oh my! I am so glad you're ok. I am impressed with your positive attitude! And I am glad Nate is taking care of you!

kylie said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH THIS IS THE WORST THING I HAVE EVER SEEN! oh my GOSH! i am so glad you are okay, but OUCHHHHHH that's a lot of healing that needs to be done! i'm so sorry!

Jill said...

hey sis....those look painful!!! i've never seen such huge blisters! but you do look rather tan! :) glad your alive and getting well!love ya

kylie said...

turley blog is going private--blog us your email address!

Unknown said...

Holy cow! How incredibly painful! The carpet looks so bad, but your poor arms look even worse. What a great hubby you have, I can only imagine all the help that you have needed. Thank goodness Zak was with Nate! Things could have been so much worse, right? How do you put out an oil fire? I remember seeing a video on it in some first aid class but I really don't remember...maybe something with a towel and baking soda or powder...I guess I should look it up. We don't fry too many things over here either, but it wouldn't hurt to know.
I sure hope you are healing quickly and are able to do more with your hands each day! You poor girl!

Brittany said...

oh amber!

Josh and Hil said...

AMber!!!! that is awful...I'm so sorry that must have hurt so bad.

Get better fast!

nate is such a good husband!

Travis and Liz said...

Oh my goodness, that looks awful! I hope you are recovering well! Hope things heal quickly!

Leah said...

Whew! We are glad you and your family are alright. I always new you were one hot momma, but this brings it to a whole new level. You will be able laugh about in not too long, although it might be a while before you crave french fries again...

The Roberts said...

YOU WERE NOT KIDDING WHEN IT CAME TO BURNING YOUR ARMS!! THOSE ARE THE BIGGEST BLISTERS I HAVE EVER SEEN. i AM SO SORRY THAT HAPPENED TO YOU!!! SAD!!! i am glad that you didn't burn down your apartment and that your arms are getting better. this will be a funny story soon :) love ya!

Chris and Devrey said...

holy crap amber! i did not picture them to be as bad as those pics!!! i knew it was bad, but sheesh no offense but i almost threw up looking at the pics--that must've hurt sooo bad!! you poor girl!! Nate needs to give you lots of extra lovin while you recover!

Liana said...

Holy Moly Amber, talk about crazy adventures in Hawaii! Glad it was just the arms, though that does not look fun! Burns hurt and take a long time to heal. Good luck with everything and glad that Nates being so helpful. :) No more french fries for a while, right?

Liana said...

by the way, my mom always used to keep baking soda above our stove when I grew up (she'd set things on fire often at our house... and baking soda does well on grease fires, just pour it over the whole thing till it's extinquished, and don't use flour, it's flammable... So you might want to invest in a box of soda. :) Glad you're ok!